Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Mother Nature is a Hoot!

Anikan Skywalkers Owner


It's a Boy!


I love you

Houston, We have a problem!

Anyone who says Mother Nature doesn't have a sense of humour obviously has never grown carrots! Our garden this year has been a source of many a good chuckle and been the brunt of many an off colour joke. Trust me when I say these photos are pretty tame. At Fullerton Farm we eat the worst of the offenders!

I couldn't resist sharing these with you because I can't resist a good laugh. That is why I must relay an honest to God real "yes -it -happened -at -my -workplace -and -I -did -not -read -it -on -the -internet" event. I am very sad that I was not there personally to expereince it but my boss, who was there and had to deal with it retold it so well I am still laughing my ass off about it.

At work, the maintance fellows needed to do some repairs on our heating and ventilation systems and in order to do the job correctly they needed to tear down an external wall. This wall is concrete block and since it was going to be a long and dirty process it was decided to seal off that section from the rest of our facility to ensure that our workplace remained clean and undistrubed by the construction workers.

'Cause lets face it, construction workers are the grubbiest most inconsiderate people on the planet when it comes to regarding the lives they affect. They use any and all workspace as a personal landfill and come and go as they please with an air of arragance that makes any sane individual want to handle an pneumatic nail gun as a weapon. Trust me, I have built a house. It does not matter the specialization they deal in they will leave a trail through your property that will have you gritting your teeth so hard your molars are loose. Dentists love to hear that their patients are renovating, those antigrinding plates increase in sales dramatically when construction folk enter the scene.

So, in an effort to avoid any and all interaction with the previously afore mentioned critters, we made sure that the door that would allow them access our facility was not only locked and barred, we disabled the unlocking mechanism to ensure that even the most intrepid of fellows could not gain enterance.

After months of having a gaping hole in our wall, I am talking 9+ (it is easier to get pregnant have an child and get back home than it is to hurry a construction firm) the hole was filled in yesterday.

This is where the hilarity begins.

Since we can not and have not entered that room in quite some time you can imagine my bosses surprise when at 3:50 pm she can hear a knocking on this door as she is leaving for the day. Surprised she leans against the door, still disbeleiving her ears. The knocking persists and it is now followed by a

"Hello? Can anyone hear me?"

Knowing that the room is scheduled for repair and disgusted at the extreme lenght of time it took to do the job my boss is rather angry and considers leaving the disembodied voice to fend for itself. But being the kind soul that she is ( I should know, she has hired me back 3 x already...I think she deserves a medal for that alone...or an extended vacation stay at the nearest governemntal facility!) she replies,

"Yes?"

There is a pause and then ,

"Can you open the door?"

"NO."

"Can you open the door please?"

"Why? and NO."

There is quite a long pause. I am assuming it is this person trying to determine which boot will taste the best when he realizes that he must ask a woman for assitance. That is in the same line as a man asking for directions...a man just doesn't do that and when you add the extra weight of construction gear and a good dose of testosterone poisoning, I am pretty sure this fellow was considering eating his shorts instead of asking this rather cross and in control female for any aid.

"I repaired your wall."

"Good. What do you want?" It can be hard to hear through a locked and plastic covered door.

Another pause.

"I want to leave."

Like my boss I would be thinking, please do so. I have 9 months of your crap to clean up. Go, hurry, scurry scatter. Take your pick.

Another pause.

"I can't."

You've heard of peole who paint their floor, then promptly paint themselves into the furthest corner from the door in that room? Imagine this fellow, bright boy that he is (and probably fertile with over a dozen kids at home ready to add to the gene pool), standing in a room with the door disabled so that it can not ever be opened from his side with a brand spanking new wonderful 9 month overdue freshly bricked up concrete wall. Four beautiful, intact finished concrete walls complete with a disabled inpenetrable door.

24 hours later and my boss is still laughing her ass of about it!

Our construction wizard didn't just lock himself out of his house he barricaded himself with a neatly stacked cement block wall that took him over a day to complete and at no point in time did Einstein ever consider how he was going to go home at the end of his job.

That's why you send a women to do a man's job. We would have done it right the first time .

No comments:

Post a Comment