Friday, January 3, 2014

Happy New Year

Percheron with Green Halter 14"x11" Oil Portrait

I have been enjoying the return to the studio to the extent that it feels cathartic. Several paintings that loomed abjectly along my walls have been tackled and the fear of ruining them is gone. That negative is replaced by the joy I used to have at trying new things. I have a large piece on the easel now that is an odd mix of realistic and impressionistic. So far it works. Time will tell for sure but until then I am going to enjoy the process.
 
Todays painting is another one of the "Neglected Ones" that had to wait for school to finish. A few years back I went to watch the departure of a Wagon Caravan that left my county and travelled to another. For a horse lover it was fantastic, literally tonnes of horses, mountains of harness and a bevy of wagons to photograph. So many breeds were present but for some reason this fellow caught my eye. He stood with that gentle giant patience in full harness minus his bridle and calmly took in all the surroundings. He stuck with me for quite a while. I sketched him on the canvas, ignored him for over a year, then did a base coat when time allowed but there was always a paper, project or test to prepare for. I am glad school is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment