Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Crystal Butterfly
(which promptly fell off the railing 1 second after this photo was taken thus proving that crystal butterflies can not fly and will become mangled when they hit the ground 15 feet below them!)

Crystal Angel

Crystal Christmas Ornaments

We are now beginning to feel the effects of a brutal Nor'easter here. The sheep and the horse are all hiding out in their sheds and Rex the rooster is learning that crowing in a wind storm leads to instant flight!

Poor Rex, being the rooster that he is in all his glory has become airborne several times already and being a typical stubborn males has decided that he can not take refuge in the shed until his quota of crowing has been filled. I am quite certain one of my neighbors will become the new owners of an aged Ameracauna Rooster! I imagine the scene will resemble that one in Twister where Helen Hunt sees a cow fly by their truck, only in our case it will be the truck driving school down the road witnessing Rex's first long haul flight!!

I am hoping the storm will be gentle on us. I love my concrete house. The only thing I usually hear in a storm like this is the sound of slapping shingles. It is a very horrid sound. There is no rhythm and it I swear it sounds like money. Money leaving my bank account as each and everyone hurtles to the ground in an effort to dent one of my vehicles! I have found the use of ear plugs to be very comforting in a case such as this.

I suppose we should be glad it is not 10 feet of snow!

The pictures today are of a recent project the kids and I have under taken. It has been great fun to create sculptures out of pipe cleaners and then let them soak in a solution of Borax and water where crystal form and the end result is fantastic. It is easy and your imagination is the only limiting factor.

Imagination is a great thing...unless you are the mother of an imaginative 11 year daughter. I was out one evening and when I returned a few hours later I was stunned to find my beautiful kitchen in complete disarray. I have a large kitchen. There are 40+ feet of counter space and each and every inch of it was covered in "stuff". Anna was bounding around like a kid on a sugar high busily writing out orders and placards informing people not to touch her experiments. :(

It seems she decided the Internet was a wondrous fount of information and one the should be utilized to its maximum. Not content with our earlier Borax creations she decided to see what else she could create crystals out of. It seems that all food stuffs are fair game. Sugar, salt and spices were all combined in various concoctions with food colouring and vinegar. The next day involved a long expensive visit to the grocery store.

Being 11 also means that clean up is NOT one of your required priorities. Creating a vast mess and coating every inch of Moms huge counter top ...do-able and DONE!

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. So in true MOM fashion I lectured as I cleaned and taught Anna a new skill... multitasking. She can now clean and apologize at the same time!!

Merry Christmas Folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment