Thursday, December 30, 2010

Morning Lamb
Photo finalist in the Canadian Federation of Agriculture's 75th Anniversary Photo Contest


I hope all of you have had a fantastic Christmas and are preparing for the New Year with great anticipation and joy.

We had a great Christmas here and as usual I have a story to tell about it.

As the family grows larger (in physical size...I could never do the baby thing again!!LOL) and everyone has demands that must be met. One scare commodity is the computer. Apparently my family has decided that my time on this wretched machine far exceeds the families approved time lines and so for a present this year my family bought me my very own lap top.

Nothing fancy, just a basic piece of equipment that I can gleefully fill with my photos and paintings and write my stories on. Something I can take on my travels through out the house and beyond on my whim.

My whim apparently is very irritating to family members so with great joy to the receiver and from the givers my new lap top began the lengthy process of rebuilding. For those of you who know me or have read this blog you will all note that I am not the most computer literate person on the planet and my husband is quite adept at it. Most of the time.

He likes to install new hard drives and usually this results in lengthy durations where I have no contact with the outside world. A horrible fate for someone who has a set routine and can not fulfil it. In that way I am very much like The Big Bangs Sheldon. The world is not quite right if my routine is disrupted.

And so I puttered around the house Christmas morn as Dave installed program after program.

We had Christmas dinner complete with all the trimmings and had scented candles placed upon the table to add a festive air to the event. I went to the studio to work on several new commissions and several hours later returned to the kitchen to note an odd glow from my new laptop. Wondering what program could ever do that I sidestepped David as he raced to my side babbling about "the candles, the damn candles"

My screen had an odd configuration on it slightly resembling a lighted skull with rays coming from it. When I ventured to looked at the back I nearly suffered a stroke. The illumination on the screen was caused by a huge hole about 3 inches by 2 inches in my lap tops cover! David had left the never been touched by me laptop too near the candle and after several hours of inattendence it melted a gaping hole in it!! My new baby was now horribly mangled!!!

My children in the past , who have sat at the computer thoroughly focused on the screen totally oblivious to the outside world have missed the fire departments arrival at our home. I always wondered how a person could so totally tune out the world around them and I always wonder, always suspected which side of the gene pool THAT darling trait came from. It would appear it comes from the male side. As David had sat at the computer, as it melted away without once realizing this event was literally occurring under his nose!

And men wonder why women call men "Dumb asses!"

I will be the only person on the planet (including the Pope) who has an actual HOLY computer!

Happy Holidays Folks

1 comment: