Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Last Gallery 215 entry

Spy - Oil 12x10 oil $175

A quick little blog to let you see the last entry for the Gallery 215 summer exhibit.

This painting has a rather neat story behind it. I used to teach 4H light horse with another woman who ran a stable. Pam who owns this mare asked me if I could paint a portrait of her as one of her favorite students was moving on. Pam knew I hated bad photos and mentioned that she would be at a show near my new home and so off I trotted to the grounds to capture this mare on film.

I was thrilled as I could combine my two favorite loves and create a great picture based on great equine photos.

I sent down the best shots via my favorite information highway ( the internet ) and waited for her to choose. The shots were really nice and Pam could not decide so she told me to choose.

Wrong thing to do. I could no more decide which photo to use than I could pick out a winning lottery ticket so in true artistic fashion I painted two portraits, one from each of my favorite photos.

When I finished I sent down the images to Pam for her decision. She still couldn't decide so finally she showed them to the girl she was giving them too and that is how I ended up with one portrait of a horse I do not own!!

Not a great hardship on my part as I like this painting. The mare had the most gorgeous colouring and it was a blast to paint her.

No comments:

Post a Comment