Tuesday, September 6, 2011


Annas 4H Woodworking Project

It has been a while since my last post but in reality it feels like only a few hours have gone by!

We all survived the Exhibition and the subsequent Sheep Sale and are now knee deep in "back to school " drama!

The Ex was a flurry of activity that had me moving about like some zombie...but better dressed! The kids were running about like the wind dropping by to deposit ribbons and exchange species of beast to exhibit before a new judge.

I have to give kudos to my poultry kids as they exhibited class and good showmanship. The showmanship classes did not go according to plan but rather than run screaming and crying about their lack of red ribbons, they took it in stride and left the ring with their heads held high and their dignity intact. They did recover some of their luster when out of 6 kids in my club, 5 of them made top 6 in the judging category including top Junior Judge. Well done Ladies and gentlemen.

My own kids did very well. Annas' ram lamb Benny made it to Pro Show as did Muffin ( handled by a friend) and Muffins Mom, Eve, won Grand Champion Fleece at this years Nova Scotia Provincial Exhibition. Even better was the prize...Blue Face Leicester rovings to spin with. It feels like silk and as Connor so famously quipped,

"Wow, that is fantastic...you could wear underwear made from that!"

I'll keep that in mind Connor!

One big surprise was Anna winning the Grand Champion Woodworking competitor. During the ceremonies when all the clubs were gathered and awards were passed out the guys waited to find out who won the Drill set. It was coveted by many a male member. So imagine every ones surprise when Anna's name was called and she bounded up in all her girly glory , blond hair swinging to claim her brand new Black and Decker Drill set! In her defence, she is very good at this competition and as the above photo attests, quite capable with carpentry tools.

The Butterfly was originally my idea as a lawn ornament and Anna needed a other project (like I need another hole in the head!) so she quickly stole my idea and ran with it. The result is this huge butterfly that is put together using only friction and no nails or glue. Some assembly is required!

I gotta go. The kids are returning from the bus stop and I am sure the first day of classes will wield some new tales.

1 comment:

  1. Crystal, this chair is amazing! Well done for Anna! I love it and girls rock!!!

    ReplyDelete