Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Rockin' Toad

The semester is nearly finished. Only one more exam left to write and then for a little down time during the Holidays.

To say it has been a busy semester would be an understatement. There was more than a few times I questioned my sanity and wondered if I shouldn't just pack it all in a go back out west where the job market is considerably more flush. Each time I did that something would happen and I'd calm down. One such moment involved a school chum.

One afternoon I walked into the computer lab, plunked myself down beside him and asked
"Watcha doin'?"

I noticed he was filling out a prestigious scholarship form and even though he expressed some doubts I was thrilled he was trying. Just recently he won that award and will now be going to Oxford University to study as a Rhodes Scholar. Even though there was more involved than filling out a form, that is where it all started. It made me realize that even though some courses seem pointless and you feel like you are failing miserably, that you keep on trying with everything you've got because it helps make you the person you were meant to be and when you do feel brave enough to fill out a form for a dream, you might actually have a shot. Way to go Paul!

This painting is one I completed last night as a gift to myself for not self destructing under the pressures of exams. I do not normally paint on rocks but I followed my intuition and after a few hours this is what I came up with. I think toads and frogs of all sorts and sizes are special and when I get the chance I like to paint them. This one is from a photo Paul let me have. Inspiring minds everywhere!!


No comments:

Post a Comment