Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Ciera's Dog 6x12 Oil Portrait Private Collection

Sometimes you get asked to do a piece that is a little out of your comfort zone. That can be a good thing. I usually avoid landscape pieces. Do not get me wrong, I love  landscapes, I usually love everyone elses landscapes, I just do not care to do them as a rule. I am more of a fur and feather artist, not a grass and twig painter.

This came to me as a really simple photograph that was originally a colour photo but the exposure made it look like a near black and white. At first I was worried about being asked to make it a colour painting but I was drawn to the picture and thought this would look really cool as a B&W. The owner agreed.

That was the plan. So a simple B&W, should be easily completed but as I got working, I found myself thinking of crisp winter mornings and how so many colours went into the colour of snow. Since I make my own black it did not take too long before I started having subtle colours in the painting. Soon it became this soft, gentle portrait that captures your attention with how simple it is.  I was worried that the owner would disapprove and offered to redo it if she disliked it. Once she saw it and realized she liked the orginal simplicity of the piece she put aside my fears and took it home.

Its all about taking chances... and accepting the responsibilty!

No comments:

Post a Comment