Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Funky Gold Geometric Pacer 10x20 Mixed Media

Life is odd. As a child you get told to do well, exceed, prosper and maintain a good life. You are told that if you succeed at this then your adult hood will just be just  a step away into the rest of your normal happy life.

I was waiting for the mythical life everyone said would happen if I followed the "Plan". I finished high school, went to college, got a job, actually many jobs, returned to University, got more jobs and then life got odd. Again.

Maybe I am a free spirit, maybe I just am not content with a normal life. Pretty sure I would not know what normal is if I had a chance to embrace it.

Seems like I do everything the hard way. The hard way has better views when you are navigating your "Odd" life but sometimes you just have to wonder...Am I doing it wrong?

I feel like that 10 year old girl who was told by her  mother, father, grandmother etc that all I needed to do was get an education and get a job and all would be alright. My Dad had the same job for 4 decades. He and I could not be more different. The only thing I have ever had that lasted 4 decades in my life is my art.

Even that is changing. I spent the majority of my life doing it normally. Follow a plan, be regimented and it will work out. Everyone says if it ain't broke don't fix it, but life is too short to follow the "Plan". This painting came to me in a dream. I rarely dream about art, horses yes, beaches in the winter yes but never completed pieces and never like this one.

I do not work in acrylic, mixed media or modern concepts. I always work in my studio and I always follow the "Plan". I always give good proper titles to my paintings.

Well, that did not work out this week and I could not be happier. I had a picture of a full strided pacer to focus on and a dream to fill in the blanks. I worked with media I usually scorned and embraced the kitchen table much to my families dismay. And I like what happened.

My give a damn ain't busted... it's relocated!

No comments:

Post a Comment