Friday, October 8, 2010


Bird in hand

I love working with kids and teaching them new skills. They are open to new expereinces and their excitment is geniune. They usually know when something is not working and they abandon it while the rest of us "mature" folk struggle on with the futile hope that with enough effort we can succeed.

Success is not the goal.

My son had his market turkey project come to fruitition and while he was competitive he did not qualify for the auction. I was disappointed for him. I feared he would see this as a failure.

I needn't have worried. He took it in stride completely non plussed about the situation and telling me his plans for the next years competition. As I listened to him I wondered how as an adult we lose that acceptance of circumstance and move on without taking it to a personal level.

I know a young woman, who in truth aggravates the daylight out of me. She is disruptive, rude and selfish. She states her personal beleifs in great detail as if the rest of the world should come to great screeching halt. Several other friends have agreed that taking a post maul to her over inflated ego would be an appriopriate course of action. I am inclined to agree.

Then I wonder, she was probably like many of the young people I have worked with in the past. Passionate about thier interests and desiring to be accepted. Praying that others do not see them as odd and as a result some grow into aggressive snappy individuals.

Somewhere along the way this critter lost her support system. Or maybe she just squacked enough that no one will speak up for fear of being buried in her non stop flow of verbal diarrhea. Maybe if someone had nicely reminded her that she should remember that God gave her twice as many ears as mouths maybe she would have ranted less.

Maybe I will remind her of that anatomical lesson next time she begins another of her socially disruptive tirades. If that fails I have friends who prefer plan two.

No comments:

Post a Comment