Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Guess Who?

Leonardo DaVinici 7x5 oilPortrait

Right now my son is outside watching the sky to see what the end of the world looks like. What faith our children have in us!

Yes I know, this is in fact another human. I spend 30+ years avoiding the human form and in the span of 2 months create 3. There truly must be an apocalypse on the way. I am pretty sure if one was to stand by DaVinicis' grave one would feel a rumbling about the soil. That would be the great master himself rolling about shuddering in disbeleif at my rendition of his form.

Sorry dude, I did my best.

I remember when I used to have my photography business and how I loved photographing the horses. They didn't complain about the light making them look fat or that I didn't get their good side. When that statement was made to me by several of the riders it was all I could do not to bite my tongue off to prevent the response,

"You have one?"


Once I photographed a very green 5 gaited Saddlebred and the trainer saw the photo and wanted it as they were trying to sell the horse. When the trainer returned with the owner in tow she stood flabbergasted and slack jawed at the picture. The trainer and I were thrilled by the action of the horse and her perfect symmetry in motion. We both knew it would be a very marketable shot. The owner/rider in the photo almost had an apoplexy on the spot and began ranting about what a horrid picture this was. The trainer and I were confused, the photo showed the talent of the horse and the potential to do higher level showing, not to mentioned made her look like a 6 figure horse.

All the owner saw was herself.

Apparently she felt my duties included making her look like a super model (which she wasn't) and reconstructing her facial features to make her appear less constipated ( I suspect was an issue).

Needless to say I did not make the sale. I did however get future work from the trainer who had no aspirations at being on the cover of Italian Vogue and I learned that dealing with people was not always a pleasant expereince.

Which is one of the reasons I have always said I will never paint people. They tend NOT to be honest. I guess "never" is a relatively short period of time and I have had fun painting these folks, especially since I will never have to hear them complain that I did not make them look like Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie.

No comments:

Post a Comment