Monday, January 10, 2011

Jessie 10x8 oil portrait Private Collection

The New Year is now firmly under way and this year I made a resolution to make no resolution. I figure if I want to change some aspect of my life then the day I think of it is a fine day to implement it!

This painting is of my sister in laws dog Jessie. This grand dame is 14 years old and this summer suffered severe liver failure and was not expected to survive. There was not much I could do except offer words of condolence and encourage Sara not to give up. That night I went rummaging through my photos (any beast that comes to my home eventually gets caught on film!) and found a few photos of Jessie that I felt really captured her kind loving soul.

I have to admit, I did not expect her to make it. The prognosis was poor when I started slathering paint around the canvas. I wanted Sara to have something to remember her loyal friend with.

This past weekend was a wonderful few days as my home was filled with family from all over. Lots of old friends gathered to drink fine ( and not so fine!) wine and kids generally had the run of the house. Food was plentiful and the conversation was great.

The best part was the presence of Jessie who perused the confines of the house in search of errant bits of food that racing children tend to lose. She looks thinner and a little less speedy ( although that was never a strong suit ....) but the old girl was present when Sara received her Christmas gift. I guess it was a bit of a two in one! What a great way to start the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment