Sunday, January 16, 2011


Peggy's Cove 20x10 oil

This last summer we traveled on a family trip down to Peggy's Cove so our kids to see what all the fuss was about. As Nova Scotians we have an appalling lack of awareness of our own province. I wanted to make sure my kids knew the attraction to our lovely province included more than fast food joints and malls.

It had been many years since I had been down and the kids and I were both surprised to see the minimising of tree height the closer to the shore that we got. The huge boulders and smooth rock faces the littered the landscapes made for an oddly beautifully if somewhat eerie surrounding.

Once at Peggy's Cove the multitude of buses and campers had us hard pressed to find parking. The throngs of people clamoring to the famous lighthouse had us a little taken aback. To estimate that there were hundreds bounding about the rock faces would be a conservative guess. People of all ages and ethnic backgrounds snapped photos to show family and friends back home and I found myself with a new appreciation for this place I call home.

If you have a chance to visit this Nova Scotia icon please do so , but make sure to include the many other facets of our province. We are more than a windswept rocky coastline!

No comments:

Post a Comment