Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Rodney 10x8 oil portrait Private Commission

It seems that I have entered the year of the Dog! Most Chinese Astrologers would disagree and state (probably loudly) that this is incorrect. It does not change the fact that for me there have been alot of dogs moving on and off my easel!

I think this fellow is great. He was a commission by a wife for her husband. It seems Rodney is one of the great loves of his life and I believe I can see why!

I was really lucky this time as I was given a phenomenal photo to work with.

That is not always the case.

I remember once being asked to paint a Guernsey cow who was quite old and frail. The owner had hoped that I could re create her in all her glory and return that youthful glow she had almost 2 decades prior.

I was provided with a stack of photos no less than 2 inches high and upon closer inspection it was soon revealed that every aunt, uncle, sister, daughter and mother of that cow was included. Everyone in that family was represented on colour film in various degrees of quality for me to peruse at my leisure and to extrapolate (my new fav word) my newest muse.

You see, the only photos I had of said bovine beauty were of her in her last stages of life, having just been through a difficult birth and being in , shall we say working clothes. All you ladies out there know that THE worst photo ever taken of you was when you lay back in the maternity bed joyfully holding your newborn child and looking like you were dragged across Canada by your hair behind an 18 wheeler. Vogue here we come....NOT!

This poor beast was covered in filth, so much so that I could not even hazard a guess on my best day as to where on her shrunken up frame her markings could be. Forget deciphering what colour she was. Hence the loads of family photos, none of which I am told even closely resemble her but she is "kinda in between the aunt , sister and daughter".

"You know what I mean right?"

I hate that question.

I know what I think...... it is politically incorrect and would make a sailor blush but how about we discuss it!

I don't know if it old age, experience or bad eye sight but now I have a tendency to run screaming in the other direction when folks present me with crummy photos. Call me a coward but one drink from the artistic fountain of youth was enough for me. I have decided I am NOT that creative. Ask me about the Atomic structure of minerals instead!

2 comments:

  1. Your comments section is so empty... peopleleave some comments, makes the webmaster feel important :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. My comments were actually put in at 2pm just in case anyone was curious.... great artwork btw!


    d(:D)<-<

    ReplyDelete