Saturday, April 9, 2011

Bad Girls and Good Boys

Muffin
(3/4 Blue Face Leicester X Clun Forest ewe lamb)


Spring has sprung and now that all my ewes have lambed out I get to sit back and enjoy them growing at an exponential rate. They go through grain in a similar fashion to my teenagers. I seem to be making regular trips to the feed/grocery store to keep the growing brood well nourished.

The above young lady is my only ewe lamb this year and her name is "Muffin". My daughters choice in names not mine and I will guarantee you will not have a "muffin top" if you plan to catch her! She is out of my best ewe Eve (Clun Forest X Blue Faced Leicester) and by a Blue Faced Leicester ram. Her brother Myles is my fav as he takes after his dad in every way. He loves attention and regularly follows you around until you finally stop to scratch his back. His sister is the opposite watching with wary eyes until you drop the feed and leave. I suppose that means she will survive all manner of attack but seriously...my only ewe lamb???!!!!

Those long legs are made for running and those big eyes are made for for watching and although I call her all forms of brain dead there is definitely enough synaptic processes going on to outwit, out maneuver and out run Anna and I. Catching Muffin is some what like roping the wind. Her tractability definitely comes from her mother who delights in playing human bowling with my kneecaps each day. Considering she weighs in the area of 200lbs her presence does not go unnoticed. I only hope the bruising will be gone by summer so I will not have to sport multi coloured legs in 30 degree heat!

Anna has decided that showing Benny her Purebred Clun Forest Ram would be a much more enjoyable experience!

The only way Muffin seems to get caught lately is when Connor takes the camera out. He did a fine job of taking only photos and leaving only footprints....his and Muffins always lead in opposite directions!

As the saying goes, "the good die young" so I am resigned to the fact that Muffin will be here for a VERY long time. At least she won't want to become a house pet like Rex the rooster!

No comments:

Post a Comment