Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Spring has Sprung


I had to post this little fellow today. He is the first one of the season and so I feel he must be celebrated. His presence heralds the coming of summer.

I know everyone here hates the Dandylion but I personaly adore them. They are a bright beautiful happy colour and they are the first sign of life after a long and often brutal winter. My neighbor must love them too as his lawn becomes the most vivid shade of yellow as these blooms block out all versions of green on his property.

You have to give these guys credit. They have tenacity and no matter how low you set your mower blades they have a flexibility that an olympic gymnastic would envy as each swath of our machine leaves perfectly aligned rows of freshly turned up sod and bent blades. As each survivor pops up unscathed after each pass it has you wondering if trying to kill them is even worth it. My sheep love to eat them and although I am loath to set them free anywhere near my flower beds I have to admit being kind to the ovis on site has a certian appeal to it.

Dandylions seem to be the scourge of any gardener and I will admit to forming a downright hostlitiy to them shortly after the honeymoon period is finished but I still like their bright colours. It is hard to maintain a grudge against something that always seems to be smiling.

Run over by a vehicle (any sort will do ) and what is the response from this chipper flower 'What? Did I miss something?"

Trod upon by any life form including my horse and even if it is partially mangled it will rise on twisted stem to gaily shout, "s'ok, I'm fine. Did I miss anything?"

My son has taken to using my dressage whips on them. It seems the slender flexible whip lends itself to a slicing motion that neatly removes the blossoms from their stems. Connor receives a great amount of joy from watching them take flight through the air. The drawback is that the closest kin to the fallen always seems to sprout up instanteously asking

"Whats up?"

So here is my motto for the summer. Compromise. When those busy bobbins of vegetative profusion pop up amoung my carefully groomed blades of green I will smile and enjoy the moment.

Then leave David to do all the weeding!

Have a blooming great spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment