Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Insulator-photo-Connor Fullerton

I get the biggest charge out of kids. If you leave them alone to be their own individuals and let them speak freely it is truly amazing the things that come out of their mouths.

My son is a prime example. Like any other 13 year male version of the species he has entered that phase of his life I call "slothdom". There is a trail of belongings that if he were to get lost would help any searcher find him in a nanosecond. His own ability to recognize his belongings and to relocate them to a more suitable environment aka his bedroom seems to be a learned response. One he has yet to master and no amount of coaxing, bribing, blackmail or screeching seems to affect his ability to retain this knowledge.

I went into his room to say goodnight and there in the middle of the floor sat an empty laundry basket. Surrounding it like a massive body of water was a variety of discarded clothing. Realizing that the vast area covering the floor was too large to navigate I waded through it. All manner of crunching and cracking was heard as bits of Lord knows what hidden in his pockets was broken. I am sure it will filter out in the washing machine.

I watched my son for a moment before reprimanding him about this Island in his room and the fact that the basket appeared not to be inhabited by any soiled clothing. Without blinking an eye he stared back at me and stated

"Its art Mom."

Seriously, how am I supposed to remain all "Mom faced" after a line like that????

After the giggles stopped I told him that it appeared to be performance art and the performance was over. Clean up the stage.

This morning the island is slightly inhabited and the waters are receding but it still requires a master mariner to make it from his door to his bed without trodding upon some sort of debris!

Connor is learning how to become a photographer and doing quite a fine job of it. The above photo is his attempt to use the evening sun to illuminate an old glass insulator. I must say that this is what I had in mind when he said, "It's art Mom."

2 comments: