Monday, December 5, 2011

Eagle Nebula


The Eagle Nebula 12 x 6 Oil

So I am deep in the trenches, trying hard to make my late model brain remember the difference between differential equations, statistical inference and resonance. It is rather like shoveling the good stuff up a hill, on a rainy day!

I am in pretty good stead in Chemistry , surprisingly I already have a pass. The goal of course is to surpass expectations. I am not sure my poor brain can handle the strain. Add the flu on top of that and you have a recipe for some entertaining exam answers.

I find it amazing the attitudes of some of my fellow students. Some think that hard work will generate positive results. They are correct while the latter seem to perceive their role in the educational process as voluntary and unworthy of their attentions.

These people are what are commonly referred to as Christmas Grads. I have had the pleasure of having a few of these potential seasonal wonders in my lovingly coined "Group" projects.

It is always said there is no "I" in team, well there sure as heck isn't an "US" in it either! Whoever thought group projects were a good idea should be captured, strung up and beat to death with a sharp spiky instrument. Even worse are those joyful group projects where one is assigned group members. I grew out of this sort of experience about 27 years ago!!!!

I talked to several friends who are also mature students and they had similar experiences and as much as I do NOT enjoy studying for final exams the mark I receive will be completely and totally of my creation. No fluctuations caused by "seasonal" blips if I actually retain the multitude of pages within my text books.

I must say I do enjoy putting on the pressure. For all those ner'do'wells surrounding me in the classroom who put forth little effort and expect great marks in return, enter the term bonus projects.

The painting shown today is my Chemistry term bonus project. Thank the Lord for teachers who encourage a little extra on the side and allow you to show your talents while explaining its relevance to the subject at hand. I got full marks. The dingbat who misspelled chlorine on their crumpled blue bristol board did not.

Did you know that the Eagle Nebula is really just a collection of dust, atoms and gas emissions that are the precursor to the formation of galaxies? Even cooler, the original image of the Eagle Nebula taken with the Hubble Telescope required three different shots all superimposed upon one another to create the beauty of that Nebula. If you have the chance you should google it. It really is interesting and it will shock you to learn that galaxies such as our own began with insignificant specks of dust.

Well, the flu pills have kicked in. My headache is gone, it is time to tackle calculus!

No comments:

Post a Comment