Monday, December 26, 2011

Ginger


Ginger 10x8 Portrait Sold

Another Christmas has come and gone as I write this blog. I hope yours was as enjoyable as ours.

This year we went to a friends house for Christmas dinner and had a grand time. In total there were 11 people there which included 4 young people with very healthy appetites and there was still turkey left over.

The really funny thing is, it was one of Connors turkeys being served at the feast and when the initial invitation was issued I thanked the Lord because I have the twin to in in my own freezer and did not relish having to cook it for only 4 people.

It is not the cooking I really object to, its the multitude of cookbooks I have to scour to find new and innovative ways to eat the same turkey over the next week!

Davids sisters are coming this week with their families and then I will cook the "big bird" , send everyone home with a goody bag and then only have to eat turkey for 4 days instead of the usual 7!

Here's hoping you have similar difficulties during your holiday season!

The above painting is a commission of a dog that belongs to a former employer of mine. It has been many years since we moved from the area she lives in so when I got the call to paint Ginger was both surprised and pleased to hear she was still alive. This grand old gal used to make me smile every morning not only for her pleasant personality but for her ability to lead a double life.

Ginger, who is adored by her owner Bruce, loved another fellow as well. Each morning, regular as clock work at 6:45am a whistle would be heard from the road and up would go Gingers ears. She never moved until she heard the cry of "Sparky. Come girl." And with a glance at Bruce , as if seeking approval, out the barn door she would race to go for her morning walk with the neighbor.

Every morning as we were reaching the end of milking Ginger aka Sparky would trot back in the barn followed sprightly by her walking companion. He called her Sparky. Bruce called her Ginger.

It had been a long while since I had seen Ginger (that's what I called her) and as I painted her I remembered that little quirk of hers and smiled. Then I realized, we all have that same ability to be recognized as something other than we are.

I am called Crystal, Mom, Kiss, Sweetie and a few others I'll not mention and pretend never happened! So here's hoping you're surrounded by people who call you many different names but still love you for who you are.

Have a Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment