Monday, August 8, 2011

I Need Sleep - Last Resort Farm Alpacas

Four on the Floor - Alpacas

Going for Home!- Alpacas

Flying High - Alpacas

I woke up this morning to the sound of rain. Lots of Rain. All my feed buckets were 1/2 way full of water and all my sheep, now walking soggy sponges were determined to drench me with their water logged wool. Thank goodness they are shorn so it only takes seconds to become sodden as opposed to milliseconds!

So in remembrance of the fine weather we Nova Scotians experienced yesterday I am posting my galloping Alpacas.

They are not the most graceful of creatures while scooting about at full speed but I guarantee that you can not spend a moment without smiling when in the company of one. Or in this case 20+! I personally had a grand time.

Did you know that there is an etiquette to greeting an Alpaca? I had heard that they are quite capable of spitting at rude people and wanting to avoid the possibility of becoming covered in Alpacas snot I decided to follow Vickie's advice and drop my head down and allow Whoopi (the heap female) to greet me. A slight nuzzling of my hair and then later my hat, was all that was required to ensure I could stroll through their herd unfettered.

David on the other hand had an entirely different experience with a male Alpaca (get your mind out of the gutter! ;) ) and had to keep both hands on his ball cap as a young male decided the "House of Blues " ball cap would be a tasty addition to his diet!

Anna's experience with any sort of forage eating critter and her long blond hair usually ends up poorly so she stood behind Vickie for most of the visit. Connor was ignored by all the Alpacas and that seemed agreeable to everyone involved! LOL

The alpacas were very enjoyable to watch as they bounded about and dropped to the ground in a flash to roll energetically on the grass. The wonderful thing about Alpacas ( and there are a few!) is that they all use a community toilet. I am not talking about a "port a potty" but rather they all do their business in one spot! It was great to know that I could crouch down on the ground without fear of becoming covered in some sort of poo. It was a welcome surprise considering the minefield of "fertilizer" I have in my pastures!

Have a great day or in the case of my fellow Nova Scotians, stay dry and suffer in silence! Cheerio.

No comments:

Post a Comment