Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Under the Maple - Dorset flock

Belle- English Collie

The Zillig Dorset Ewe Flock

Dorset Ram

Another Dorset Ram


As promised I have new photos of my latest adventure into the fabulous world of sheep.This time I was at Marg Zilligs in Scotch Village looking at her Dorset sheep flock.

The neat thing about Marg is that she uses AI and is a full service facility. She can raise lambs, butcher and make use of their hides. There is no wastage on this farm.

Her mother, who has since passed on, used to prepare in excess of 100 lamb skins per year! That is alot of work. Trust me, I am learning as I am attempting to process my own lamb skins from this year. Not a job for the faint of heart.

Marg took me into the fields to look at her flock and as sheep are prone to be they quickly vacated the area I was in! I can tell you the exact amount of male/females in this flock as I spent alot of time looking at their backsides!

As we trudged in the heat they wisely took to the biggest tree in the pasture and had they known that they were posing for a fantastic shot I am sure they would have left that area as well. Sometimes you work with what you've got and by the end of the day Marg took me into the Ram Paddock where the boys were more than willing to display their assets for us females.

Considering I rent rams to cover my ewes I am always amazed at how large these fellows are. They make my daughters weanling Clun look pretty diminutive in comparison!

Marg uses genetics from the UK as well as Australia so it was nice to see a well balanced flock of sheep.

Not limiting her interest to just sheep, she has acquired a new puppy who is an English Collie. Belle is a very cute little critter who if left to her own devices will steal your sneakers and look cute doing it. Marg tells me that this breed was used mainly by the English settlers and that their dogs are a more open and upright sort of herder. Instead of the low to the ground approach we have all become accustomed to with the Border Collies this English sheep dog employs the regal "Please move" approach as opposed to the "I might eat you approach" the Borders seem to use. I look forward to seeing her when she is mature .

This will probably be the last you see of my posts for a while as we are preparing the kids for the NSPE where they will be exhibiting their sheep, turkey, chicken, rabbit, horse and lifeskills projects. Even as I write this I am tired! Also, I will be entering a few of my fleeces in the Provincial Wool and Fibre Competition so I will keep you all up to date on how that works out.

Enjoy the Summer!



No comments:

Post a Comment