Saturday, July 3, 2010

Baa Baa Kinda Black Sheep

Catching Some Rays 8x10 oil

I am lucky enough to own sheep and my huge flock of 4 keeps me highly entertained. I have "Bella" a purebred Clun Forest ewe lamb who will make her debut in the 4H world this year with my daughter. I have "Precious" who is my Favorite, a Purebred Rideau Arcott who was the orphaned runt of a litter of four. She was slated to go to the butcher but her personality was so ...personable I had to take her home. She has since become a fantastic mother a great ambassador for the sheep industry as she loves pats and belly rubs.

Then I have Abbey and Eve. Named so for the reference to "Adam" And "Eve" only instead of being the first humans they are the first sheep on the Fullerton Farm. These critters are Clun Forest X Blue Faced Leister ewes and what Beauties they are. I bought Abbey because she is just like Precious in temperament and having kids who like to take their friends for walks in the animal paddocks I need animals that wouldn't send the kids to the ER! These girls are the toughest easiest to care for sheep I have ever met. They love to rest in the snowbanks and storms have them frolicking in the fields reminding me of Sgt. Dan in Forest Gump during that Hurricane scene. Truely crazy. Precious loves them, mainly because when they are outside she gets the whole shed to herself!

This is Abbey, just soaking up the rays one morning. I was very pleased with how the wool turned out. It looks really superb from about 15 feet away. Abbs was in full fleece when this photo was taken and now that she has been shorn she looks rather like a well fed goat which only proves that I have more pasture than sheep! I am working on my hubby to convince him more sheep would be a good plan. The plan of attack is, if I get more sheep I won't have space for more horses. Since he is typical of the male species catering to his tummy is usually a persuavive way to win any argument! It is much easier to put roast lamb on the table than roast horse!

I have plans to do more of the woolie beasties as all my sheep friends keep pestering me to stop painting "those foolish cows" and focus on something truely beautiful!


No comments:

Post a Comment