Tuesday, July 20, 2010

How to drive an oil painter INSANE!

Cobequid Bay, Anne's Beach 6x4 Acrylic

Sorry about the irregularity of these posts. My computer is still in ICU and poor Dave has been using his computer in an attempt to give it some "moral" support. I thought computers were supposed to make mankind's life easier???
As the title suggests I have ventured into another medium in my efforts to "grow" as an artist. I think all I accomplished was finding new ways to become mad, frustrated and generally MORE evil tempered!
I know there are artists out there who swear by acrylics. I do to...swear I mean. Was there ever another medium created that could be more contrary and aggravating?????? For those of you who have never enjoyed the experience of shoving instantly drying acrylic paint across a pristine canvas to create an image that is so illusive that finding a real live Yeti seems somewhat more attainable, let me explain the subtle differences between oil and acrylic.
Acrylics were created when the Supreme ruler of mediums (Oil paints) got drunk in the wrong side of town and found the loosey goosey medium, Watercolour. Their resultant offspring was a joyous collection of both mediums WORST characteristics. Since oils have NONE, I think you can ascertain the issues I had. The colours were transparent, uggh. The paint dried while I contemplated the appropriated colour combinations, Yikes.
And my favorite, well actually there was no favorite, I am just glad that I have my wonderful luscious standby, oils to return to with a feeling of unmitigated joy! I might just leave the acrylics to my kids as they demand that instant gratification and are happy with the simultaneous results. I however will return to my malleable luxurious oils and contemplate the meaning of life while I push paint across an inviting canvas.

No comments:

Post a Comment