Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Purposeful Aggravation!


Do you ever wonder why we do things we know aggravate us?? After my last rant about acrylics I decided to let my inner child run free with a design idea for an entrance sign for our house.

We live in a concrete house and for some unknown infuriating reason people do not use our functioning doorbell. They would rather use the medival method of tapping on the door. Just like ancient times, inhabitants could not hear the rapping of human knuckles on a door we present rural dwellers can not hear visitors announcing their presence through the 12 inch walls of our home. So the idea of the sign came into play, use an old slate tile from a renovated church and politely leave a note on the sign urging them to use the doorbell. Also they can leave a message in chalk when they leave. Sounds like a plan right???

I wanted something summery and with butterfly's as I view them as harbingers of good will. I decided to use acrylics. Why??? Why do you pick at a scab? Because it is itchy and you want it fixed. So I figured that attempting acrylics again would help me master this new medium.

Good plan, dumb execution. Why would any sane person choose a black piece of slate to try and paint beautiful translucent creatures with transparent paint?? I must have been mad to ever think I could do this. Surprisingly I found myself enjoying the experience and learning even more about acrylic paints and how they perform. The best thing I learned....... use a canvas when you want to learn a new technique. A new medium on a new "canvas" usually increases ones blood pressure to new heights!

All kidding aside I am pleased at the final outcome and although the photo is a poor representation of the actual colours in the sign it was a fun enjoyable experience.

Even if I did question my sanity!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment