Monday, July 26, 2010

Feeling the past

Cave Ponies 8x10 oil

I love this painting. I while back I was asked to talk to a group of elementary students about heritage/traditional activities. I talked about art and asked them what the oldest painting looked liked. The usual expected responses came up with Leonardo & the Mona Lisa but they were very surprised when I showed them pictures of cave drawings. The kids were fascinated and while some debated whether or not cave paintings qualified as art work I became inspired also.

I went home and looked at other cave paintings and I decided to try one...in a modern sense, I am a modern girl after all! I only used 4 colours, ones I knew could be found in real life and I limited the brushes I used. I love the warmth and simlicity this painting shows and if I had to live in a cave I'd have colours and prancing ponies on the walls too!

No comments:

Post a Comment