Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Ummmmmm, Why'd you do that?

My husband is a clever man. He has degrees adorning his walls and the ability to recall the most insignificant piece of info and remind me why it affects the price of shoelaces in Timbukto.

Knowledge is great. So is the ability to tune people out. I think he has developed this skill to the level of Master Tuner Outer.

Sunday we went on a family trip to Treego. This is a climb in the trees like monkeys sort of family amusement park. Florida gets rollercoasters, we get to perputate the image of the Canadian lumberjack...

Seriously it is great fun but the trip had us worried as our car seemed to be having power issues on the way up and back from Moncton.

Monday morning had me racing back home before work to put the pork chops in the fridge to ensure they were still in an edible state at the end of the day. Our cat, who seems to be a strict vegetarian occassionally takes a liking to pork so I felt the need to feed my family this source of protein and save the can stuff for Puss.

When I entered the driveway I noticed a black object. Upon further inspection I quickly realized that my fan belt had fallen off. Who knew your car could drive without one???

So David decides that he can repair the vehicle himself. All family and friends have witnessed his attempts at mechanical repair. They are not always successful. The most notable was when he set the T bird on fire and it only had 3 wheels on it inside our new garage. The learning curve on how to put on a wheel was pretty steep that day!

So he buys a new tool. I believe that is the only reason he tries to repair our aging fleet...it is a "legal" excuse to increase his tool inventory. He asks me to help. That results in great martial bliss and of course several words that would make a sailor blush were uttered. No blame will be laid here!

SO as Dave becomes increasingly frustrated at the tools inability to move the alternater thingy far enough away to install the new belt I mention that I think his tool is too big (hard to believe I said that!) (DFF _ I can edit these entries, you know: what she said was "are you sure they gave you the right tool". Of course they did...the car is just too small). He assured me that the men who sold him this tool knew what they were doing and would I please hand him the grinder so he could remove the radiator shield (also incorrect. It was only a few clips that had to be removed and that didn't work either).

I restated my belief that there had to be an easier way other than removing the entire engine and half the exterior parts. Maybe his tool was the wrong size.

Again I was reminded of the mental superioity of the mechanical community and I left the building still muttering that the tool was not the correct size to move that thingy for the belt whatcha ma call it.

I went to pick my daughter up from Girl Guides and she asked if the car was working yet. I said No. She instantly questioned, "what did Dad do this time?" She may be young but she has learned from past mistakes...opps learning experiences. She is marrying a rich man so she can avoid all this DIY repair delimmas. Smart girl.

When I enter my home I get a full nostril full of that delightful aroma that only a grinder grinding metal can make. You know the one that shuts of your lungs and attaches itself to the back of your tonsils with a grip a politician would love?

Gagging I went into the garage to be greeted by a triumphant man asking for my assistance.
As I journeyed through the garage of smoke and debris I see attached to the proper spot his new tool. I clasp it, shove it in the only direction it will go and within seconds the fan belt was in place.

Dave smiles and states,

"Once I figured out the tool was too big I took the grinder to it. Now it works great." (DFF: I hate to have to modify a brand new tool just to get it to do the job it supposed to do. Oh well, she can't compalin that my tool ids too big now ;-) )

MEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment