Wednesday, June 2, 2010

June 2

Dunachton Gale- oil

This evening is the opening for the Town of Truros Art Acquisition Art Show held at the McCarthy Gallery here in town. It is an annual event where the town encourages artists to submit paintings that are representative of the lifestyle and historic development of the town of Truro.

This year I have entered two paintings both based on the harness racing aspect of our community. Horses are a passion of mine and they frequently end up as subject matter for my work. We are lucky enough to have our own racetrack here (Truro Raceway ) and followers of the harness industry will recognize the name SomeBeach SomeWhere, the World Champion who hails from here.

The entry of Dunachton Gale, who was quite re known in the area prior to Beaches arrival is one such painting .

The second painting is based on a series of photos I took one day at the track. There were so many vibrant active characters that I presently have 5 canvas' on the go depicting them! I found the interaction between man and horse to be captivating as well as complex. Having owned a Standardbred ex- racehorse in my youth I know from first hand experience how hard wired the desire to win is built into these competitors. Watching many of them struggle with the restraints of man trying to out run the wind thrilled me to watch, and brought back a few memories of youthful back road racing with my friends!

Training day at Truro (oil) is the one I chose for the competition.

It will be interesting to see how it all works out!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful work Crystal I love horses too. I love how you captured there
    regality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I have a whole series of Harness horses on the go right now and I am very excited to see how they turn out. The amount of harness is such a challenge if your not careful you can lose your horse in a tangle of tack pretty quick! I have found that doing my little dailies helps loosen my mind up before I tackle a homestretch run of harness!

    I am very lucky to have a race track near by and my source of subject matter is limitless. Stay tuned for future postings!

    ReplyDelete