Tuesday, June 8, 2010

June 8th

Glass Insulator II 4x4 oil
What a gorgeous day we have. The sun is shining brightly and my solar powered ambition chip has me itching to get up to the studio and paint. Yesterday was super productive as I worked on two pieces and made smashing progress. Some time soon you'll have a Red and White Holstein and a Prowly Cougar to view!

I must admit the dailies are doing exactly what I had hoped and helping me loosen up my technique. I am choosing subjects I normally avoid (reflective glass, still life etc) and limiting myself to finishing them in one day. This seems to kill any normal propensity to labor on, pick apart and stress out about tendencies that I hate. Forcing myself to try something outside of my comfort zone in theory should help me grow as an artist. Yeah right! Wouldn't Freud have a field day with that statement!

I look forward to posting the results in the future and seeing what folks think. ...Maybe!

2 comments:

  1. I love this picture of the glass insulator. I have several on display in my home. What a wonderful idea...starting and finishing a piece in one day. Maybe I'll follow your lead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do it. You won't regret it! It is great fun and helps loosen up the brain before you tackle your bigger pieces.

    Let me know what you chose and when you post it.

    ReplyDelete